Tuesday 11 October 2011

Creative Commons

I was lucky enough to have Rodd Lucier give a presentation to my Tech. Education class about creatie commons.  For anyone who doesn't know, creative commons is a form of copyrighting, but allows people to use your work, edit it, publish it, etc. depending on your own personal preferences.  As a teacher I think it is important to know about things like this because we pull resources from a variety of places, and not actually ahve the permission to do so.  Google images was a topic that came up often, and the rights to the pictures.  If it is on the internet is it fair game? Surprisingly no.  You still have to ensure that you have legal rights to use the picture, and provide proper acknowledgement to the original owner of the work.

This is an interestign concept but I don't know how effective it is.  By taking a picture and putting it in a powerpoint say, without referencing it is nto allowed.  But who will know? Are our students going to check where we got it and see what the copyright, creative commons rights are?  As an educator I think I will set an example by making sure to reference images and resources, acting as a model for my students.  I don't know if I will ever use creative commons personally because I dont tend to put personal things online, and if it is, i feel that it is at everyone's disposal to do what they want with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment