Tuesday 18 October 2011

Digital Footprint

The amount of stuff we can find on the internet always amazes me.  Simply googling a word can give you millions of items to look at.  With all the different social media sites out there now, you can find almost anyone somewhere on the web.  It makes me wonder how much of yourself is available online.  Whether it be good things or bad, you wonder how this will effct your lie now and in the future.  As we invetigated digital footprints today, I was made aware of the parts of me that are online.  Using http://www.pipl.com/ alows you to investigate you personal digital footprint, as well as people you know.  To know surprise the first thing that popped up for me is my facebook.  Although, this is a little disheartening because I have made a concious decision to make myself hard to find. 

I was a little surpised by the other things you could find out about me.  As you scroll through the lists of people who share the same as me, but are indeed not me, you come across things from high school.  Iwas a track and cross-country athelete and was fairly good at it.  Since they poseted results of meets online you can investigate how I did in these meets.  It's not a big deal to me that you ca find out these things, it was a big part of my life and It made me who I am today.  What concerns me is how I can control the availability of information about myself that is not posted by me.  I don't know if you can.  The best you can do is ensure that there is nothing incriminating about yourself that is online. I know I will be concious of the future digital footprints I create, ensuring that the me on the internet truly represents who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment